Friday, November 24, 2006

Geek Speak


To introduce my post about the work I currently do I want to let you all know a great thing that happened last night. Normally when someone asks me what I'm currently doing my response is a simple "research". Most people have no interest in precisely what I am researching or the techniques/intricacies of my everyday worklife. But last night was different; I went to the SerandEz thanksgiving bash and pretty much had nobody to talk to (especially since FFW and I came near the end and many people were already leaving). So as I sometimes do at these venues, I say my hellos, grab a bite and slink into a corner to ponder the mysteries of DaKirsch, while FFW chills with her gal pals. While in my moments of contemplation I was approached by Mrs. L. who promptly asked about myself and what's doing and somehow handed me off to Dr. L. (it had something to do with a psych patient, star trek, and a steno pad). What was so nice about speaking with Dr. L. was that no matter how in depth I went in speaking of my research, he was following right behind me. I could talk about tetanus toxin binding domains, and neuronal specificity and he would be hanging on my words like a Hungarian trapeeze artist (for you DK). Anyway It was just nice to be able to speak with someone who cares about what I do.

see old comments

8 Comments:

Blogger Ezzie said...

:( & :)

:( That you had nobody to talk to (what about me?!?! :::coughcough:::).

:) That you found a fellow geek! :P [My eyes glazed over just reading that.]

And hey, imagine telling people about the latest audit you've worked on. Real exciting stuff, I'm telling you.

Though thank God, there are people like your (male) shadchan and FFW's brother who actually understand it...!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Moshe said...

FFD - I know exactly what you mean though by now I've figured out how to explain it to non-scientist...even to accountants (Hi ezzie)

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say my hellos, grab a bite and slink into a corner to ponder the mysteries of DaKirsch

So I'm not the only one then...

7:38 PM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

even to accountants (Hi ezzie)

:::grumbles:::

Actually, that's true. FFD, Moshe's better than you at something. And he likes country music. You're in serious jeopardy of losing #1 Future Dr. status. (Though you'll always be the Doc.)

12:07 AM  
Blogger FFD said...

well Ez if i lose my spot to Moshe ide be giving it to a well deserving recipient. That boy works harder than you or I ever will and he deserves the success that will undoubtedly be coming his way.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Moshe said...

"FFD, Moshe's better than you at something"
I can catch a football and play defense way better than him, too.

"You're in serious jeopardy of losing #1 Future Dr. status"

Excuse me! Why is he currently #1?!?!?!


(Thanks for the compliment, Doc. V'chein l'mar on deserving success which I am sure is on the way)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

I can catch a football and play defense way better than him, too.

You can catch a football?! Since when?! (You deserved that :P )

Excuse me! Why is he currently #1?!?!?!

Shhh... it's HIS blog. On YOUR blog, you're #1. ;)

And I'm going to throw up if y'all keep kissing up to each other like this.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I always ask about your research (though I forget what it's all about as soon as we part ways. But I do ask about it again the next time we meet).

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home